August 08, 2006

The Flight

The flight ... what can one say about the flight. It was a pretty empty flight. At first glance I thought I was lucky as there was no one sitting next to me and then to my delight I saw they were busy closing up and there were a few of the middle rows in the plane that was empty!!! This meant 3 seats all to myself!!

The flight started off well but as luck would have it, I had a mom and her three kids behind me, the one who happened to be 2 years old. This kid would not stop crying and kept on kicking the back of my seat.

When I asked the mother to please stop her kid from kicking my seat, she started to argue with me about what can she do and maybe I should move to another seat where no one will kick my chair ... a few words later and some sterns looks things calmed down a little. Only to be woken up again by shouting from this kid and him kicking my chair again. Luckily for them and my sanity it was 10 minutes to landing.

The flight was actually pretty short and I thought it would take much longer to get to Kenya. Kenya Airport isn't that bad ... much bigger than I thought it would be and when last did you see one of these signs ...



Our lay over at Kenya was about 3 hours, although the time difference was and did confuse me as to how long I was anywhere ... will explain later.

Now because we were there for that long instead of sitting at the coffee shop we decided to go sit in the diners club lounge which you pay $20 and you can park off and watch DSTV etc and there is free internet for you to use (one computer I might add) After walking up and down the airport, watching TV we finally were called to start boarding. Even had to take off our shoes before walking through boarding.

As I was waiting to board I realized I had left my folder with all my notes for my work on the plane from JHB to Kenya, I had a lot of notes and to recover them would not be easy. I took a chance and asked the air hostess if they would be able to find out and let me know in a few days time if they are able to find it. She came back with a security guard who asked me about it and he went off only to return with my folder in hand ... I was shocked I seriously thought it was gone but luckily for me the air hostesses on the other flight handed it in at the security desk. Thanks Kenya Airlines ... you saved me a lot of work!!!

This flight however took much longer and as luck would have it I was unable to sleep, even reading was not doing me so well. It was one move and the flight was supposedly 3 hours 35 minutes. It felt much longer. We landed at some airport that starts with a Y and we had to wait in the plane for 45 minutes to fly another 30 minutes to our final destination Douala.

It was hot, just standing in the queue was killing me ... although having a jersy on and carrying my leather jacket wasn't helping me much to cool down. The luggage was actually very quick, and yes all my luggage was there, I was bombarded by a lot of porters all wanting to carry my bags and the fact that I didn't have change I had to be firm in telling them I will sort my own luggage out. Remember ... no one here has change ...

I am also very glad that we have a driver who picked us up, you walk out the airport and you get bombarded by taxi drivers ... I didn't actually notice any yellow cabs ... what I did notice though was there was total chaos outside with the traffic.

But all in all, we arrived at our apartment late, unpacked and went to sleep. It was a long long flight.

Oh, the time difference thing ... well Kenya is an hour earlier than SA so your flight is actually an hour shorter than you thought, but when you fly from Kenya to Cameroon, you are now two hours behind from Kenya and one from SA which increases your expectant arrival time ... or flight time whichever way you want to look at it .. either way ... it was a long flight!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home