August 03, 2006

Interesting

Well I have had an interesting chat with some of the guys here at work whom have been to Cameroon and stories and advice flowed freely.

The flight plan is pretty simple:

1) Leave Johannesburg International on Monday at 11:30
2) Arrive in Nairobi at 16:40
3) Wait around for 3 hours before catching the next flight at 19:45
4) Arrive in Douala at 23:10

The airport in Nairobi is pretty decent or so I am told, I was contemplating getting an American Express card so that I can go and sit in the VIP lounges. Nairobi however only has Diners, so pay R800 a year for a Diners Card (out of my pocket) or $20 (company pays for i.e. part of my allowance) when I am there to be let in so that I can sit and relax in "comfort"

The American Express card is still a very good option for when I am in JHB International.

Now one of the first things I am told to do is go to the foreign exchange at the airport because their rate are better, I get 570 (????) where as at the hotels I get 430 (again???) or I can buy currency off the street. The thing here is I just might get counterfeit money included in my real money ... but not to worry apparently if I get counterfeit, then I just keep going to shops till eventually someone takes it as if it was real money.

So yes, me thinks the airport will be the best place to get my Africa Francs. Oh and I am told that while I am exchanging my currency on the street I can put in an order for some drugs "headache" tablets if you will.

And a very important bit of advice, I am told to pack two days worth of clothes in my carry on bag, mainly because I have to go back to the airport two days later or so to fetch my suitcase (two days if they remember to put it on the plane)for some reason the suitcases don't fly with us to Douala. Wondering if I can take all my luggage on as carry on?

Then there is a debate as to what to pay the taxi's ... rule number one though, I have been told not to ask the taxi driver how much it will cost ... speak to our hired driver and get a rate from him (my question however is this: if we have a driver at our beck and call ... why do we need a taxi?)

Ok, so rule numero uno, don't ask how much, when the driver stops give him 150 (says one collegue) "The taxi driver will kill you" says another collegue. The going rate is 1000 African Francs (roughly $2 or R12-R14) oh, rule number two don't give him a 2000 Arican Franc bill ... they never have change, even if the guy that just stepped out gave him 1000, there just is never ever change from the Taxi cabs. Oh, another rule ... only get into the yellow cabs, the non yellow cabs are illegal cabs ... yea, ok ... got it.

We can braai while we are there ... the apartment we are staying in has braai facilities and a TV with SABC1 and CNN whoo hooo. I am so glad I have to study.

So yes, I have probably forgotten rule 4 through to rule 1 million but I am sure I will figure it out as I get there.

I am not concerned, it is going to be fun, I have had my Hepititas A, B, C and whatever other alphabet injections, I have been taking my malaria tablets ... but been thinking about that ... need to loose some weight and they say Malaria is a good weight loss method ... I suppose surviving is a side affect to that as well ... I have taken my Rabies shot 1 and last night gave myself shot number 2 (Rabies??) they probably have free roaming mad dogs running around, must be those "headache" tablets they took becausee their luggage still hasn't arrived!!!

So all in all ... is it going to be such a bad country ... heck I don't know. Let's see what happens next. I will just have to experience this all for myself!! So till next week ... bye bye now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home